Monday, September 24, 2007

Funny Kiwi Stuff and notes of the trip

  • a "dairy" is a convenience store, like the local 7-11. No idea why.
  • most toilets have 2 flush buttons. I finally was able to ask someone at the hostel in Queenstown why and apparently one uses less water, to be ecologically friendly when there is, ahem, less water required on that particular occasion
  • there is a broad range in how much clothing Kiwis wear. For example, it was a very chilly day today and I was still cold in long pants, long sleeve shirt, fleece, waterproof jacket, socks and tennis shoes. Many Kiwis were dressed similarly, but there were also just as many wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. It can only be a fashion thing, since their body parts were red raw and many of them were shivering. I just don't get it.
  • my best meal so far: 2 samosas I bought for NZ$3 at a street festival in Auckland on a very sunny Saturday.
  • It's hard to shake the standard 2 week vacation ritual. I started feeling a few days ago like I needed to get to Christchurch quickly so I could spend a few days there and in Wellington before heading off to Auckland. Then I realized I have two weeks left and am in fact only half way through the NZ part of the trip. So I stayed an extra day in Queenstown and added a FOUR day stop in Dunedin and still have plenty of time to see what I wanted to see before I fly out of Auckland. Such a different way of thinking. But I will definitely be ready for Australia, if only to head to the warmer weather!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I won't leave this message in French or jibberish like crescenet...but I'm living for your blog. Now if you could just somehow mention me in one of your posts, it would be even more entertaining. *wink wink* Keep on keepin' on.