Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Amazing Queenstown

Since my last edition, I spent the rainy evening in Rotorua being psychoanalyzed by a German engineer in my hostel (for those who don't know the "Cube" game you visualize a desert with items in it and it supposedly tells you how you see yourself and your relationships) and then spent the next gorgeous, sunny day flying to Queenstown. Such a shame to spend the beautiful day in an airport and airplane, but at least I got great views at takeoff and landing.

Queenstown is an amazingly gorgeous place. A small town on a huge lake surrounded by mountains where snowboarding is king. There's only a week left in the season, so there's lots of turnover in people. Many come for the winter months and pick up odd jobs to finance their snowboarding. I've been spoiled with amazing weather since I got here and have met some great people in the hostel. Last night I went out with 2 Australians and a Brit and met up with some Scots along the way. Tuesday was jetboating and today I did something I never thought I would do... I went skydiving! Absolutely unbelievable. The view was out of this world - I won't even try to describe it because I couldn't possibly do it justice. The funny thing is a guy in my hostel signed up to do it and convinced me to go, but then got too sick to do it! I pick up my pictures and a DVD of it tonight. Can't wait to see them! Tomorrow I head off to Milford Sound for a long day trip. I found a place in town that will burn my pictures to CD so I'll do that on Friday and get another load of pictures posted. But I definitely need to head off to the next place soon - it's ridiculous how fast you can burn through money here!!!!!!

No comments: