These past few days have been very different from the rest of the trip, as I'm in a city I hadn't planned to go to. I had planned to go directly from Queenstown to Christchurch, but when I saw the 9 hour bus ride that entailed, I decided to make another stop along the way. I'd never even heard of this city before arriving in NZ, which I find so strange given that so many people have heard of Queenstown, a city of 18,000 people, but not Dunedin, whose population is over 100,000. I guess that's the power of the invention of the bungy jump.
My first night was definitely off the tourist track! After a few hours at the local Irish pub with a few Brits, Canadians and Germans, we were dragged to the next spot by a Kiwi who promised "it's a bar, not really a nightclub." Not. We spent the rest of the evening dancing at the cheesiest 70's themed nightclub we'd ever seen, avoiding eye contact with the inbred, social skill-less men and aging, put-away-wet women. One guy decided a good way to get my attention was to dance wildly, flinging his elbows to poke me in the back as much as possible. Yikes. But it did give our group plenty to talk about.
Today I took a walking tour of the city. The best part of the day may have been running across across a student magazine whose main article was about the fabulousness off the Minnesota State Fair! One of the lines..."I suddenly realized - to my abject horror - that I had not yet sampled the most sought-after delicacy in the entire Midwest: fried Wisconsin chese curds." I was happy to see the author had had a fantastic time.
Tomorrow I'm off to see pengins, seals and sea lions, or at least I hope so - assuming both weather and the animal kingdom cooperate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment