the site of my first massage in Thailand (followed by many more here over the next few days)
I went to bed happy, stuffed and relaxed. In the morning I booked all my tours and flights for the next few weeks and then headed off to the big shopping mall/market to buy a new cell phone. I started to feel a bit queasy and started sweating (not surprising, since I've been eating exclusively from food stalls over the past 5 days). I was really afraid I was going to go into full food poisoning, but it was just my body wondering what the heck was happening after the normal goings on of Australia and New Zealand. Within 5 minutes I was almost 100% again, but I decided to take it easy tonight anyway. I had planned to go to a Muay Thai (thai kickboxing) match, but postponed that for another day. Instead I spent an hour at a museum, Jim Thompson's House. He was an American sent to Thailand after WWII with the precursor to the CIA. Soon after being sent back to the US, he returned to Thailand, having fallen in love with the place. He "discovered" the beautiful silks the Thais were weaving and brought samples back to the editor of Vogue in New York, starting a trend of designers using the materials. He built his house in Bangkok out of a number of old Thai homes from different areas around the country. The grounds are gorgeous and tranquil, especially in contrast to the major bustling city that has grown up around the museum. In the museum are two astrological charts - one signifying the most auspicious date for Mr. Thompson to move into his house (which he followed) and another warning him to be careful when he was 61, as do all those born in the year of the horse. When he was 61 he went for a walk while on a trip in Malaysia and was never seen again. They still don't know what happened to him. Odd, huh? Now he is credited with single handedly bringing the Thai silk market to the world stage.
I rounded out the leisurely night with a movie in the "VIP area" of the theater. The seats were large recliners with more foot room than most 1st class airplanes. While I waited for the movie to start I had dim sum (costing a whopping 60 Baht, about US$2) and shopped. I realized the movie theater was probably going to be cold, so I decided to see if I could find a pair of jeans to replace the ones I brought with me. I found a pair for $18 and they were only the 4th pair I tried on! How come I can try on thousands of expensive jeans in the US and find nothing, but find them easily in a country where the women are known for having small butts, no hips and slender thighs (none of which I can be accused of)? Turns out the VIP area also includes blankets! Although it was still a good idea - even wearing the jeans and with the blanket I was a bit chilly. If they know it's going to be so cold you'll need a blanket, wouldn't it be more cost efficient to just turn down the AC? But what do I know about running a theater...
As I got out of the taxi near my guest house, I was immediately welcomed with the song "Sweet Home Chicago" being sung by a band on Khao San Road. It made me smile. Then off to a facial (at 10:30pm!) where I smiled again when I saw a sign for chocolate waffles for sale at the spa. Not quite what we would expect at a spa - no wheat grass anywhere!
1 comment:
Amy, It is so fun to read about your adventures. What a great chance of a lifetime. You could be a travel writer! Imagine all the people you get to meet because you know someone somewhere. Keep having a fun and safe time. Loved seeing your pictures. Susan Nielsen
Post a Comment