Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A mini-Oz glossary

Ok, we've heard many of the Australian slang in the US, but there are some that really baffled me. And some that were just hard for me to say.

thongs = flip flops --- It's weird to see signs outside of bars prohibiting men from wearing thongs in them.

esky = cooler --- I believe it's from a brand name and I'm sure it's derived from Eskimo. But I had no idea how to react when our guide in the outback asked me to bring over the esky. There wasn't even any context for me to figure it out.

doona = duvet/comforter --- Signs at the hostels asked us to remove the sheets but leave the doona. I figured it would be easy for me to leave it since I didn't have any idea what it was.

dunny = bathrooms (usually used to refer to rustic ones, like at rest stops and campsites)

Of course there are many others, but these were the ones I had never heard of and that I actually had to ask for clarification. Maybe they'll help you if you get to Oz (another slang term, meaning Australia. So much shorter!)

No comments: